Immigration Law

What is Immigration Law?

Previous VISA Bulletin

Immigration law refers to the rules established by the federal government for determining who is allowed to enter the country, and for how long. It also governs the naturalization process for those who desire to become U.S. citizens. 

Current VISA Bulletin

Heading 2

How do you become a U.S. citizen?

Through the process of naturalization, foreign citizens or nationals are able to become a United States citizen, so long as they fulfill the requirements that were established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act.

The costs associated with the application process can widely vary, and hiring an attorney to assist you throughout, may end up saving you money in the long run. Even the slightest error can cause an application to be denied or postponed, and having to reapply can double or triple your costs.

How to get a permanent VISA or Green Card?

Lawful permanent residents of the United States receive a photo identity card, that is green in color. As such, permanent resident cards are known informally as "Green cards". Green card holders are immigrants who are given rights, privileges, and benefits to permanently and legally reside in the United States.

In order to apply for a Green Card an individual must be eligible to do so under one of several categories, such as being a human trafficking or crime victim, through family, or through employment. If an individual thinks he or she may be eligible under one of the categories listed on the USCIS website, it is recommended to seek legal counsel in moving forward with a green card application.

What is a temporary VISA?

Where can I find an Immigration lawyer?

A temporary visa is usually required for people who are planning a short trip to the United States. There are many types of nonimmigrant Visas, and one must be chosen that authorizes that activity and no other. For instance, a B-2 visa for visitors for pleasure or medical treatment must only be used for those purposes. Academic or language students must apply for a F-1 Visa, and are required to adhere to the purpose of the visa while in the United States.

If you have any questions related to immigration policies within the United States, contact one of our immigration lawyers through our phone number: 559-890-1007.

Not only will an experienced attorney give you peace of mind throughout the immigration process, but it could mean the difference between obtaining the type of visa you need, or not obtaining one at all.